- (865) 637-0203 (ext. 244)
Ian P. Hennessey
Areas of Practice:
General Corporate and Business Law
Healthcare Board Investigations
Medical Malpractice Defense
Medical Staff Issues
Mergers & Acquisitions
Nursing Home and Long Term Care Defense
Tennessee Supreme Court
Tennessee Court of Appeals
Georgia Supreme Court
Georgia Court of Appeals
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee
University of Tennessee College of Law, Doctor of Jurisprudence – 2007
Vanderbilt University, Bachelor of Science, magna cum laude – 2004
Awards and Recognitions
City View Magazine, Top Attorney in Health Care Law and Privacy Law
Tennessee Bar Association, Harris Gilbert Pro Bono Volunteer of the Year – 2020
The Pro Bono Project of Legal Aid of East Tennessee, Pro Bono Attorney of the Year – 2018
Knoxville Bar Association, President’s Award – 2017
Tennessee Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, Public Service Award – 2013
The Pro Bono Project of Legal Aid of East Tennessee, Public Service – 2010
About Ian Hennessey:
A shareholder in the firm, Ian has been an integral part of the firm’s corporate, business and mergers and acquisitions teams for over a decade. During that time, he has advised on numerous transactions for the firm’s clients, which range from the nation’s largest medical staffing companies to mid-sized specialty medical practices to nonprofits. In the past year, he served as lead counsel on the acquisition of an emergency room practice with a transaction value upwards of $32 million. He currently provides counsel on healthcare business and regulatory matters to most of the top physicians groups in the metropolitan Knoxville area. Ian serves as general counsel to several healthcare professional societies, including the Tennessee affiliate of the Medical Group Management Association (MGMA) and the Knoxville Academy of Medicine. He has negotiated more than 150 employment agreements on behalf of physician groups and individual providers.
Ian’s practice also includes cybersecurity, regulatory defense, healthcare employment law, HIPAA compliance matters and HIPAA-related planning for medical practices. He is well-versed in the dynamic regulatory landscape of healthcare, health law and long-term care.
Ian lends his health and business law experience to several pro bono projects, including Legal Aid of East Tennessee’s Pro Bono Project, the Tennessee Faith and Justice Alliance, and Volunteer East Tennessee. Of particular passion is his ongoing involvement with the Tennessee Access to Justice Commission’s Faith and Justice Initiative, a multi-faith initiative that provides legal advice and assistance to congregations and the faith communities they serve. Ian was honored in 2020 as the Harris Gilbert Pro Bono Volunteer of the Year by the Tennessee Bar Association. He has served in leadership positions in both the Tennessee and Knoxville Bar Associations.
Ian is a native of Cincinnati, Ohio. He and his wife, Leanne, are the proud parents of two sons. They enjoy playing with their kids, gardening and growing her award-winning canning hobby.
- Served on firm’s deal counsel team representing a leading national medical staffing company in acquisitions in 17 states.
- Member of the firm’s cybersecurity rapid response team.
- Successfully defended a physician facing termination from a health insurance network.
- Successfully defended a small physician practice in an investigation brought by TennCare OCR involving alleged discrimination in patient care.
- Represented a dermatologist in the sale of his medical practice.
- Represented an allergy specialist in the sale of his medical practice.
- Represented a licensed clinical social worker in the sale of her behavioral health practice.
- Represented a fertility medicine specialist in the acquisition of a medical practice.
- Prepared a QIC policy for a regional orthopedic practice with multiple corporate affiliates and subsidiaries.
- Prepared and implemented corporate compliance and HIPAA policies and procedures for multiple medical group practices.
- Defended multiple healthcare providers in investigations and actions brought by state health-related boards.
- Negotiated hundreds of healthcare employment agreements on behalf of healthcare providers across Tennessee and Georgia.
- Served on outside general counsel team for multiple independent medical group practices and professional societies.
- Represented healthcare providers and practices in disputes related to the enforcement of non-competes and other restrictive covenants.